Call for Application:
18th Annual Conference NAAE-Abeokuta 2017
Young Nigerian Scholar Awards
Feed the Future Agricultural Policy Project, MSU
Conference dates: 16th – 19thOctober 2017
Young Scholars’ Seminar date: 16th October 2017
Federal University of Agriculture Post-graduate Conference hall
Deadline for applications: 10th Sept., 2017
Following highly successful National Association of Agricultural Economists (NAAE) conferences in the past, this year’s conference is co-hosted by Feed the Future Agricultural Policy Project, MSU and will include sessions of presentation of cutting-edge research on “Agribusiness Development as a Panacea for Economic Recession in the Midst of Climate Change and Policy Regulations in Nigeria. Further, there will be a special technical section on Feed the Future Agricultural Policy Project and discussion of the research-policy interface.
Fifteen (15) Young Nigerian Scholars located in USAID Nigeria focus States will be selected to participate in the young scholars’ seminar with full funding opportunity to participate in the main conference.
The seminars are scheduled to be held between 4.00 – 6.00pm on the 16th of October 2017, prior to the main conference.
Who is qualified to apply?
- Young scholars from institutions of higher learning located in USAID Nigeria focus States. These are mainly: Benue, Cross River, Ebonyi, Kaduna, Kebbi and Niger
- Students who are currently studying Agricultural Economics, Economics, Public policy or graduates of same who are working,
- Graduate student and young scholar with less than 10years of completing PhD and not more than 35 years old in the focal areas.
The seminar will cover the following topics:
- Policy and Agribusiness Development in Nigeria;
- Value Chain Development in the Nigerian agricultural sector;
- Climate change and Agribusiness Development.
- one-page curriculum vitae containing the name, institutions, contact address and at least two referees or mentors addresses and contacts information;
- one-page write-up outlining why the candidate wishes to become Nigerian based expert capable of contributing to Agribusiness Development, climate change, value chain development and regulatory reform in Nigeria;
- 10 pages write-up on any of the seminar topic above.
- Identification, either International Passport, Driver’s licence or any other acceptable identification endorsed by a reputable referee or institution.
Applicants’ write-ups and biographies should be in a single word document, and named: NAAE 2017_YoungScholar_ApplicantLastName.
Kindly note: Late applications and applications that do not conform to the prescribed format above will be automatically disqualified.
Applications will be reviewed according to the following criteria:
- adherence to set guidelines;
- content of application;
- evidence of interest in, and commitment to policy-relevant research in agribusiness development for Nigeria;
- quality of write-up and
- gender representation.
The selection committee may contact your supervisor or mentor before making the final selection.
Selected young scholar will be provided with:
- payment of full conference registration (N16,000)
- accommodation at standard room with breakfast for the duration of the conference (16-19 Oct., 2017).
Selected Participants will be required to cover:
- transport to and from Abeokuta from their various locations and
- any other incidental costs.